Social and emotional learning (SEL) program for youth, focusing on self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationships, and responsible decision making.
Research shows that SEL programs can have a positive impact on school climate and promote a host of academic, social, and emotional benefits for students such as better academic performance, improved attitudes and behaviors, and fewer negative behaviors.
Quick Facts about Life School:
- Appropriate for students in grades 6-12 as small groups or entire grade level.
- Includes a variety of experiences such as outdoor team building, art and music, journaling, videos, and group discussions.
- Can be held at Common Ground for group sizes of up to 20 students. The workshops are typically 3.5 hours of content and a 30 minute lunch break.
- Most workshops can be scheduled as “stand-alone” offerings or combined with other programs to deepen the impact.
- Can be held at your school during your regular school hours. This approach allows the potential for all students to be engaged in the content. We recommend several visits for this approach.
Awareness of the present moment. We will explore how our brains process information/stimuli when we’re calm versus when we’re stressed, and learn techniques to reduce stress in order to optimize the learning capacity of the brain. This workshop is the foundation for all other Life School Workshops.
Explore how we come to have our point of view, become more mindful and understanding of who we are and how we connect to the world, which can help us in developing a well-rounded sense of confidence and optimism about our lives and those we share it with.
Explore a deeper understanding of how our emotions are natural and help create meaning in our lives. It’s our awareness and management of our emotions, or the lack thereof, that can benefit or create problems for us and those connected to us.
Explore the different parts of you who are that makes you a unique individual, how self-acceptance, positive thinking and positive self-talk can have a direct impact on what and how we experience our lives.
Learn about making choices with an emotional awareness rather than making choices from a place of delusion or fear.
Focus on seeing the connections between habits in our lives and our emotions. We will explore how to become aware of problem habits in our lives and to create healthy habits in line with what we want to create in our lives.