Season: June 7, 2021 – August 6, 2021 (6 positions available)
Reports to: Summer Camps Coordinator and Programs Manager
Position Type: Seasonal/Part-Time (Monday – Friday)
Training: June 7th – 11th, 2021
Position Summary: Are you an enthusiastic and friendly person that loves working with diverse groups of people in a natural outdoor setting? Support Counselors supervise an assigned group of campers between the ages of 6 – 14 years old while serving as their role model and primary caregiver. These positions are part-time and serve the community by helping Common Ground offer services to aid in the campers safe arrival and departure to and from camp. Previous experience is not needed. We ask that applicants are able to commit to at least 4 weeks of work, but would prefer the entire summer.
Positions and Essential Job Functions:
- Bus Counselors: Assists children with getting on and off of the bus safely. They ensure that children get off of the bus at the correct stops and that they are being released to the proper guardians. They must also make sure that children are in their assigned seats, if applicable. Bus Counselors will ride the bus in the morning from the start of the route to camp, and in the afternoon to the end of the route. Bus Counselors are responsible for monitoring camper’s behavior. Once they arrive at camp, they help with camper check-in as directed by Camp Leadership Team. Bus Counselors work Monday – Friday from 7:30am – 9:15am and 2:45pm – 4:15pm.
- Before Camp Counselors: Responsible for the daily opening and set up of Before Camp Care while assisting children with early camp arrival. They’re responsible for planning and leading activities with campers they’re supervising while they wait for camp to start. Once camp gets ready to start, they help with camper check-in as directed by Camp Leadership Team. Before Camp Counselors work Monday – Friday from 7:15am – 9:15am.
- After Camp Counselors: Responsible for the daily closing and clean up of After Camp Care while assisting children with late camp departure. They’re responsible for planning and leading activities with campers they’re supervising while they wait for their parents to pick them up. After Camp Counselors work Monday – Friday from 2:45pm – 5:45pm.
General Job Functions:
- Provide the daily care of each camper in your assigned group including personal health needs (medications) and assist with personal/health concerns. Immediately notifying the Supervision Team of any situations you are unable to handle.
- Actively facilitate daily camper arrival to camp and departure from camp.
- Be alert and adhere to proper utilization, care, and maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules, policies, and procedures. Actively participate in camp documentation as assigned by the Camp Leadership Team.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with a diverse population of children aged 6-15 years old and try to relate.
- Ability to accept verbal and written direction, guidance, and supervision.
- Practices attentive/active listening and has the patience to hear people out.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds wells to questions.
- Capable of working as part of a larger team in terms of staff and the overall organization. Focuses on organizational goals, needs, and outcomes.
- Contributes to a positive and supportive team culture with differing personalities.
- Performs a wide variety of tasks and changes focus quickly as demands change.
- Enthusiastic, kind, sense of humor children can join in on, patient, and can remain calm and collected while facing stressful situations.
- Self-motivated and willing to step in when there’s a need to be fulfilled within reason.
- Ability to stand, walk, walk, hike, run, stoop, kneel, crawl, sit, and lay outdoors on our 30 acres of land.
- Ability to lift up to 50 or so pounds.
- Desire to work with children ages 6 – 15 years old.
- Desire to work outdoors in a variety of weather and appreciates a fixed Monday – Friday schedule. Regularly exposed to outdoor weather elements: rain, dry, humid, hot conditions.
- Must be at least 18 years old and possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must successfully pass the FBI/BCI Background Check.
- Must successfully complete Summer Camps Training and verification.
- First Aid/CPR Certification provided.
- FBI/BCI Criminal Background Check provided.