Season: June 8, 2020 – August 7, 2020 (11 positions available)
Reports to: Summer Camps Coordinator and Programs Manager
Position Type: Seasonal/Full-Time (Monday – Friday)
Training: June 8th – 12th, 2020
Position Summary: Are you an enthusiastic and friendly person that loves working with diverse groups of people in a natural outdoor setting? Day Camp Counselors are the primary caregivers for each camper and are responsible for the well-being of an assigned group of similarly aged campers, guiding them through daily activities and fostering a sense of cooperation, respect, and community. Previous experience is not needed, and thorough training will be provided prior to employment. This is your chance to begin your career as an educator!
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervise an assigned group of approximately 15 children between the ages of 6 – 14 years old while serving as their role model and primary caregiver. Know where each camper in your assigned group is, what s/he is doing, and ensure they’re supervised at all times.
- Create, Plan, Conduct, and Evaluate various day camp activities in alignment with weekly camp themes & philosophy to execute during group’s scheduled Team Time.
- Create a FUN, actively engaging and secure atmosphere for exploration and learning. (For Example: A FUN Physical Education Teacher.)
- Guide assigned campers from one Specialty Area/Activity to the next ensuring a safe and timely transition.
- Provide the daily care of each camper in your assigned group including personal health needs (medications) and assist with personal/health concerns. Immediately notifying the Supervision Team of any situations you are unable to handle.
- Actively facilitate daily camper arrival to camp and departure from camp.
- Actively participate in the daily opening and closing of camp during the season.
- Be alert and adhere to proper utilization, care, and maintenance of equipment and facilities.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules, policies, and procedures. Actively participate in camp documentation as assigned by the Camp Leadership Team.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with a diverse population of children aged 6-14 years old and try to relate.
- Ability to accept verbal and written direction, guidance, and supervision.
- Practices attentive/active listening and has the patience to hear people out.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds wells to questions.
- Capable of working as part of a larger team in terms of staff and the overall organization. Focuses on organizational goals, needs, and outcomes.
- Contributes to a positive and supportive team culture with differing personalities.
- Performs a wide variety of tasks and changes focus quickly as demands change.
- Enthusiastic, kind, sense of humor children can join in on, patient, and can remain calm and collected while facing stressful situations.
- Self-motivated and willing to step in when there’s a need to be fulfilled within reason.
- Ability to stand, walk, walk, hike, run, stoop, kneel, crawl, sit, and lay outdoors on our 30 acres of land.
- Ability to lift up to 50 or so pounds.
- Desire to work with children ages 6 – 17 years old.
- Desire to work outdoors in a variety of weather and appreciates a fixed Monday – Friday schedule. Regularly exposed to outdoor weather elements: rain, dry, humid, hot conditions.
- Must be at least 18 years old and possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must successfully pass the FBI/BCI Background Check.
- Must successfully complete Summer Camps Training and verification.
- First Aid/CPR Certification provided.
- FBI/BCI Criminal Background Check provided.