Season: June 7, 2021 – August 6, 2021 (6 positions available)
Reports to: Summer Camps Coordinator and Programs Manager
Position Type: Seasonal/Full-Time (Monday – Friday)
Training: June 7th – 11th, 2021
Position Summary: Are you an enthusiastic and friendly person that loves working with diverse groups of people in a natural outdoor setting? Activity Specialists possess comprehensive knowledge of a specific area such as Music & Movement, Arts & Crafts, Environmental Education, or Team Building and can create, plan, and conduct camp programming based on weekly themes. This position requires flexibility as Specialists need to be able to plan and work with a variety of age groups. Previous experience in one of the Activity Areas listed below is preferred, but not required for some positions.
- Arts & Crafts Specialist: Plans and Leads age-appropriate arts and crafts projects for campers using materials like crayons, markers, paint, balloons, picture frames, leaves, sticks, clay, etc…
- Environmental Education Specialist: Plans and Leads age-appropriate activities and lessons about the natural world around us and how humans are related.
- Music & Movement Specialist: Plans and Leads age-appropriate songs, skits, dance, and other movement activities for campers and may be required to coordinate a “show” or sing-a-long on Fridays at the Camper Cookout.
- PeaceMaking Specialist: Facilitates interactive activities and discussions focused on goal setting, trust, team building, communication, and collaboration.
- Adventure Camp Specialists: There are two Specialists that work together to plan and lead character and community building activities. They must be willing to Zipline with the campers, be in good health, weigh between 70 and 275 pounds, and be at least 4’10”.
Essential Job Functions:
- Create, plan, conduct, and evaluate various day camp activities based on an assigned specialty area, weekly camp themes, and Common Ground’s Camp Philosophy for all age groups (6 – 15 years old).
- Create a FUN, actively engaging, and secure atmosphere for exploration and learning.
- Create, Plan, and Coordinate Camp Kindness Day activities for campers and Counselors.
- Serve meals for Daily Lunches, Daily Snacks, and Camper Cookouts on Fridays.
- Assist with the personal health concerns of campers that are in your care. Immediately notifying the Supervision Team of any situations you are unable to handle.
- Actively facilitate daily camper arrival to camp and departure from camp.
- Actively participate in the daily opening and closing of camp during the season.
- Be alert and adhere to proper utilization, care, and maintenance of equipment and facilities. Facilitates inventory of assigned activity area at the end of the camp season.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules, policies, and procedures. Actively participate in camp documentation as assigned by the Camp Leadership Team.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with a diverse population of children aged 6-15 years old and try to relate.
- Ability to accept verbal and written direction, guidance, and supervision.
- Practices attentive/active listening and has the patience to hear people out.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds wells to questions.
- Capable of working as part of a larger team in terms of staff and the overall organization. Focuses on organizational goals, needs, and outcomes.
- Contributes to a positive and supportive team culture with differing personalities.
- Performs a wide variety of tasks and changes focus quickly as demands change.
- Enthusiastic, kind, sense of humor children can join in on, patient, and can remain calm and collected while facing stressful situations.
- Self-motivated and willing to step in when there’s a need to be fulfilled within reason.
- Ability to stand, walk, walk, hike, run, stoop, kneel, crawl, sit, and lay outdoors on our 30 acres of land.
- Ability to lift up to 50 or so pounds.
- Desire to work with children ages 6 – 15 years old.
- Desire to work outdoors in a variety of weather and appreciates a fixed Monday – Friday schedule. Regularly exposed to outdoor weather elements: rain, dry, humid, hot conditions.
- Must be at least 18 years old and possess a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must successfully pass the FBI/BCI Background Check.
- Must successfully complete Summer Camps Training and verification.
- First Aid/CPR Certification provided.
- FBI/BCI Criminal Background Check provided.